Tuesday 30 November 2010

Fiona Banner and Barney Bubbles




Fiona Banner - "Harrier and Jaguar" 2010 Duveen Gallery installations at Tate Britain.  What I really liked about these pieces was how the function of the object was forgotten when you were looking at them.  I began to admire their form.  The sheer size of them completely dominates the viewer.  Especially "Harrier" the plane being hung upside down which really has an "Epic" feeling to it.  The idea of hanging a plane upside down also adds an element of danger and excitement.  "Jaguar" has been stripped of it's army coating and has a very reflective surface that makes you admire the beauty of the objects as objects not as machines designed to kill.




The Barney Bubbles exhibition was held at Chelsea just opposite the Tate.  I have to admit out of the 2 exhibitions I found this one the most inspiring as graphics is what interests me.  It was interesting to see how he used all the old methods like screen printing etc to create work.  I loved the drawings, plans that they had as well with logo designs with his annotations still on them.  It just helped to see a process to the pieces as well as something that was resolved.  I loved how when you got close to the work you could see the intense grid system he had carefully drawn out for each piece.  I was quite shocked by just how time consuming it must have been back then and how the whole thing felt very mathematical compared to the use of computer/ digital systems in the industry today.

No comments:

Post a Comment